Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Steps.....

Hey people! On this blog post I have chosen to talk about the steps that I think are most helpful in getting ready to play the guitar.
1. Step number one I think is getting the guitar tuned. My friend found this web site that is pretty awesome. I hope it can help you a lot. http://www.facebook.com/share_redirect.php?h=1abe0de8a7dc1511db6cdcbb2e05bd6a&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gieson.com%2FLibrary%2Fprojects%2Futilities%2Ftuner%2F&sid=30160998509 this site has an awesome tuner! (You need speakers for this to actually work.) All you do is click on the “E high” string for instance, then turn up your speakers and try to match it with the sound of your guitars “E high” string. I don’t use this site, I prefer electric tuners. They are so easy! The best part is that if you have an electric guitar you just plug in your amp cord into the tuner and use it just like a regular tuner! How I use it is I just take out my guitar, strum any string, (Oh, by the way, in order to use this you have to know what each string is called) and then look at the little screen on the tuner.

2. The second step to me would be making sure that your guitar is in tip-top shape. To do this you need to make sure that there are no finger prints on your guitar. To get rid of the finger prints all you have to do is go down to any music shop and ask the store manager to show you where the guitar cleaning stuff is. Get the guitar wood finish polish and it will shine your guitar better than a fire-hydrant after it has been washed. Another thing that you should do is clean your strings every month or two. You can get some guitar sting cleaner at that same music store. Then get a nice smooth cloth and put a little bit of the string cleaner on it and rub the strings with the cloth. While you are down at the shop you might as well get some finger board cleaner for when you are replacing your strings.

3. The last step is all about posture. It is a good idea to not have on a long sleeve shirt because sometimes the sleeve will get on the strings and will block a lot of the sound. Another thing that you should make sure not to wear are shorts/pants with pockets that have zippers or other things that could scratch up the guitar while playing. It is important to have good posture while you are playing the guitar, so make sure that you are playing with your back straight up, head tilted a little, fretting hand with a tight grip but loose enough for moving around, and last but not least, feet flat on the floor.

Those are my steps for preparation in playing the guitar. I hope the web-link I posted helps you tune your guitar with no trouble at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Everyday Guitarist

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter said...

Great idea for a site.... but keep the content coming. By the way, my own playing exploded when I started playing with a looper pedal. It gives you the feel of playing with a band, which takes your playing to a much higher level.